Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Adoption gone wrong

Adoption...we have talked about with the kids before. In many of our books about 'different' families the topic of adoption is frequently addressed. In the past when I have talked about adoption with the kids I have described it as when someone's mom and/or dad is not able to take care of the baby so they the baby is adopted by another family that will raise them.

I thought this was a reasonable three-year-old explanation until today.

Today we had the pleasure of giving a lawyer over $1,200 to make our family legal in the courts eyes. We filed our paperwork to complete our second parent adoption, so I can be the legal parent of Freya.

Over breakfast while talking about our plans for the day and how we needed to go to the lawyers office to talk about adopting Freya. At which point Reese asked me..."are we having another baby?"

It took me a moment, but I said no - we are not having any more babies. Reese then asked where Freya was going - in her mind, this adoption was going to be giving our baby away to someone else! With many tears and lots of snuggles we assured Reese that no, we were not giving away our baby ...it's just that in our world I am not considered Freya's legal parent and we wanted to fix that.

Maybe I'll call Obama and they can use this as another reason to deal with DOMA.

No comments:

Post a Comment